The term ‘empath’ has recently reached a new level of Internet popularity as a significant number of the population has begun to genuine understand the term, and the abilities that it refers to.
Once shrugged off as being nothing more than ‘highly sensitive,’ we are beginning to understand that a sensitivity to emotions can take a number of different forms.
This is, however, just the surface, and as we continue to delve deeper we discover that there are, in fact, a number of different levels of emotional understanding.
The line between empaths and clairsentients is sometimes difficult to distinguish and can be further complicated by also looking at other individuals such as HSPs (Highly Sensitive Persons), Psychics, Indigos and Lightworkers.
What is an Empath?
An empath possesses a unique set of gifts, able to genuinely feel and sense the emotions of their surroundings at any given time, and the people who they encounter.
This is a deeper connection with their energy levels, relaying a message to the empath either positively or negatively.
While there are a number of traits that will help to identify if you are, in fact, empathic, it is important to note that once you do gain control of your emotions many of these traits cease to exist.
For this reason, you need to think back to a time before you were in control of your abilities.
The common traits of an Empath include:
- Struggles to live by the rules
- Inability to witness cruelty and tragedy, even on TV
- Addictive personality
- Overwhelming feeling of other people’s emotions
- Constant fatigue
- Feeling overwhelmed in public places
- Drawn towards the spiritual
- Ability to sense energy
- Great listener
- People feel comfortable confiding in you
- Values cleanliness
- Digestive problems
- Ability to feel time
- Deep love of the truth
- Love for travel
- Easily bored
- Feeling like a human lie detector
- Unable to focus on things they don’t find enjoyable
- Connection with nature
- Back pain
- Need for alone time
What is a Clairsentient?
Another gift one may possess, often mistaken for that of an empath, is that of a clairsentient.
These individuals can feel emotions from further away and possess a level of psychic ability allowing them to not only sense emotions and energies, but to genuinely tell what a person is thinking or feeling.
While a clairsentient may find that they connect some of the traits of an empath, it doesn’t quite feel like the ‘right fit.’
Common traits of one who possesses the gift of clairsentience include:
- Regularly use the phrase ‘I feel that’ instead of ‘I know’ or ‘I think’
- Keen sense of taste and smell
- Form strong, accurate first impressions of people upon meeting them
- Relate to the views and opinions of others
- Experience a tingling sensation at the top of their head
- Feel joyful when around positive energies
- Mood determined by the situation around them
- Highly sensitive
- Sudden strong energy and vibrations in the body
- Able to understand the origin of the views of others
- Tend to describe things as feelings (‘heavy’ or ‘light’)
- Often feel as though they are in the presence of others even when alone
- Able to read feelings and emotions
- Able to determine what a special person may be feeling at any time, even when they are not in close proximity
- Overwhelmed when visiting places connected with violent acts
- Able to quickly and accurately read a room
- Find themselves nauseated in dark or around negative energies
- Sense distress between others
- Intense mood swings
- Feel the presence of any supernatural entity that may be around them
- Sensitive to the energy of their surroundings
- Sometimes feel as though someone is brushing their hair, holding their hand or patting their shoulder when alone
- Able to tell if someone is telling the truth
- Notice things without any logical explanation as to why
Continue reading: Coping Tips for Empaths to Help You Embrace Your Gift
How do you Distinguish Between the Two?
This can be extremely difficult at times. Not only are the two relatively similar in many of their traits, but you don’t have to necessarily be exclusively one or the other.
An empath can also be blessed with the gift of clairsentience, and a clairsentient may be blessed with empathic abilities.
There is also an even larger group of people who may mimic these gifts, giving the impression as though they are when their intentions are not as genuine as those who have been truly blessed.
A true empath will never hurt another individual purposefully, regardless of the cost to themselves.
Likewise, a true clairsentient will dedicate their life to guiding and helping those in need rather than using their gift for personal gain. For this reason, be cautious of those who fake their abilities!
By Britt, Guest author