Activist Post: “Just as many Second Amendment advocates have anticipated, gun control legislation being proposed by Senator Feinstein has gone far beyond what has become known as “assault rifles”.
In fact the proposed law would ban almost every type of semiautomatic gun on the market including handguns and shotguns.
Feinstein is clearly trying to expand the definition of assault weapons to just about every firearm by claiming if they have “high-capacity ammunition feeding devices” then they are “military-style assault weapons”.
The following is a summary of the 2013 legislation
Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
– 120 specifically-named firearms;
– Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
– Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
– Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
– Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
– Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
– Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
– Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
– Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
– Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
– Background check of owner and any transferee;
– Type and serial number of the firearm;
– Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
– Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
– Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
A .pdf of the bill summary is available here.
Even if this proposed legislation is negotiated down from its current draconian state, the writing is on the wall. The powers that be want to confiscate nearly all weapons from free citizens, while their hired enforcers will continue to have access to them.” — Source.