6 Tips to Increase Longevity
We all are looking for that magical fountain of youth. Longevity relies on two things: genetics and lifestyle. You can’t control your gene...
You can’t control your genes, but there are other things you can do to increase the probability of living longer.
Life expectancy can be increased with some simple life changes and basic steps. Let this guide help you discover methods to increase longevity.
1. Drink Green Tea – Not only is green tea full of antioxidants, it’s also good for your heart. Research shows that drinking a cup each day can have a positive effect on your risk of death from heart disease.
2. Stay Trim - Being overweight puts you at risk for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and other conditions that take years off your life. Staying fit and slim is one of the easiest methods to increase longevity.
3. Eat Healthy - There are nutrients in your foods that help add years to your life. Eat a well-balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables and cut down on sugar, fat, and salt.
4. Don’t Smoke - Smoking causes lung disease and cancer. It also increases your risk of a heart attack. Stop smoking and avoid it at all cost.
5. Get Your D - Studies estimate that around fifty percent of adults have low blood levels of vitamin D. This is mostly because we don’t get outside enough. Try to expose yourself to the sunlight at least 15 minutes each day for adequate vitamin D production.
6. Have Children Later - According to research, a woman who bears a child after the age of forty has four times greater the chance of living over 100 than a women who give birth early in life.
7. Exercise Regularly - To stay healthy and strong, your body needs regular exercise. This is the best insurance against injury and disease. Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise three or four times each week.
8. Socialize - Studies found that maintaining social connections wards off depression, boosts your immune system, and helps you live longer. Join a club, go on Facebook, and get out more.
9. Use Your Head - One of the most important methods to increase longevity is using your brain. Take up a new hobby, do crossword puzzles, or learn a new language. Things that keep your mind engaged add years to your lifespan.
10. Get Married - There are numerous studies that show married people live longer than unmarried people. So, get (and stay) married as one of the methods to increase longevity.
11. Meditate - Develop stress-busting habits like meditation. This form of stress management eliminates stress hormones, relieves tension, and quiets your mind. Scientists found that meditation produces endorphins that lower your blood pressure and decrease your heart rate. Meditate at least 15 minutes each day for longevity.
12. Laugh - A recent study from the University of Maryland found that 15 minutes of laughter each day can improve blood flow to the heart by about fifty percent. So, laughter is the best medicine.
13. Have More Sex - According to a 2010 report in the American Journal of Cardiology, an active sex life is connected with longevity. This study found that those who have sex two or three times a week lower their heart disease risk by 45 percent.
14. Practice Patience – Recent research found that men who frequently get angry are two times more likely to have a stroke than those who control their anger. Have patience and remain calm in times of stress.
15. Sleep Time - One of the simplest methods to increase longevity is rest. A 2002 research report by the Scripps Clinic Sleep Center in California found that people who sleep between six and a half and seven and a half hours a night live the longest.
16. Get a Pet – People who have pets are less depressed and lonely. They also get more exercise, which adds years onto the lifespan. Get a dog or cat to love and care for and lengthen your life.
Reference: Operation Meditation;