Building Confidence and Self-Esteem
Low self-confidence and self-esteem are conditions guaranteed to suck all the joy out of your life. Most low self-esteem stems from a childh...
It probably seemed that there was nothing you could do right and you were subjected to constant mental abuse (at the very least). Self-esteem refers to how you view yourself, and when your self-esteem is low, you will view yourself as being inadequate, especially when you compare yourself to other people.
For years, it has been mistakenly said that criminals have low self-esteem, piling yet more anxiety on those who are genuinely suffering from self-esteem and confidence issues.
However, criminals actually have a high opinion of themselves, and the theory that they are compensating for a poor self-image has been completely disproved.
Those with low self-confidence and low self-esteem generally exhibit a number of character traits that limit their enjoyment of life:
- Negative factors of daily living are accentuated.
- Having a very negative and distorted view of yourself.
- Eating disorders are common, either overeating or not eating enough.
- Putting blame on yourself, even for the actions of others.
- Perfectionism. While trying to do things well is good, those with low self-esteem can never see what they do as having merit, no matter how well it turns out.
- Low life goals and expecting little out of life.
- Being overly sensitive and spending too much time worrying.
As with any negative behavior pattern, you will need to put some effort into methods to build confidence and self-esteem, but the benefits from actually liking yourself will more than reward you for your work.
Don’t Live In A Mental Rut
Although most low self-esteem stems from how you were raised and your experience in school, there are other factors that can put you right into a mental rut, such as conflicts at work, trouble with relationships, or a major life disruption, such as a divorce or chronic illness.
Having a poor opinion of yourself puts you at a complete disadvantage when it comes to nearly every aspect of your life, and when you have decided that you have had enough of cringing every time you catch a glimpse of yourself in a mirror, there are some very good methods to build confidence and self-esteem in anyone.
• Spruce yourself up. People who have low self-esteem generally don’t pay enough attention to their appearance. Even if your clothing is clean and pressed, it’s likely that it’s on the drab side. Treat yourself to a new outfit and have your hair done. If your outside image shines, it will help your inside image do the same.
• Self-hypnosis can help you to train yourself to get over your self-esteem problems. The power of suggestion while you’re ‘under’ is very strong, and convincing yourself to feel more confidence in yourself and your abilities will improve your outlook.
• One of the best methods to build confidence and self-esteem is through meditation. You are probably aware of how meditation relaxes you, but there are a number of other ways that this practice will help with your self-image problems.
Increasing the GABA (gamma-aminobutyric) in your system helps your neurotransmitters function at a higher level. GABA is a brain chemical, and if your body is not producing enough, it can cause feelings of inadequacy and depression.
Another brain chemical that has a great influence over your outlook is serotonin – too little serotonin causes you to turn inwards and devalue yourself. As with GABA, meditation is an excellent way to boost your levels of serotonin naturally and help you like yourself more.
• Fight the timidity that often accompanies a lack of self-esteem and confidence. Don’t be afraid to speak out at meetings, and go to the front row at any gathering, rather than hiding in the back.
If someone criticizes you, don’t hesitate to defend yourself verbally – start being your own best friend, rather than your own worst critic.
You deserve much more out of life than to go through it with a bad opinion of yourself. Using any of the above methods to build confidence and self-esteem, or even several in combination can be just what you need to start liking yourself as you should.
Reference: Operation Meditation;